The CAGE Questionnaire
The CAGE Questionnaire for alcohol – self assessment tool
Scoring is 0 for "no" and 1 for "yes". A total score of 2 or greater is considered indicative of an alcohol or drug problem.
- Have you ever felt you should Cut down on your drinking?
- Have people Annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?
- Have you felt bad or Guilty about your drinking?
- Have you ever had a drink first thing in the morning to steady your nerves
or get rid of a hangover (Eye-opener)
This is not designed to provide a diagnosis. It is a screening tool and a high score suggests the need for further and full evaluation.
- Ewing JA.Detecting AlcoholismThe CAGE Questionnaire. JAMA 1984;252:1905-1907